Secure, Peaceful Setting
Sprott House has one of New Zealand's first purpose designed and built special care unit for alzheimers and dementia residents. This was opened during 2010.
These 20 en-suite bedrooms, with each room having access to secure courtyards, provide a secure environment where specially-trained staff provide residents with excellent care and the individual attention important for their health and well-being.
The unit is intended to provide a home away from home with a beautiful glass pavilion and other lovely facilities including outside secure courtyards. It is specifically designed to replicate normal daily living in the home as far as possible with a safe, comforting environment while maintaining a high quality of care.
Each resident has a lifestyle plan designed to meet their individual needs and are involved in group or one on one activities to keep as active as possible. As well Sprott House has adopted the Spark of Life Programme for all residents with dementia.
In summary the special care unit provides
- oversight by a registered occupational therapist
- staff with specialised dementia and alzheimers training
- staff on duty 24 hours a day providing constant support and supervision in a safe, secure environment
- comfortable and warm accommodation
- an environment which encourages family participation as desired, including involvement of children and pets
- varied daily exercise and entertainment programme, providing mental, emotional and physical stimulation
- specially equipped mobility van hired for outings and a location which gives easy access to community facilities
- regular visits by the general practitioner
- nutritious and varied well-cooked meals with special diets being catered for
- single bedrooms with ensuite facilities
- podiatrist and hairdresser visit regularly
Sprott House has certification under the Health & Disability Services (Safety) Act 2001. We are members of HealthCare Providers New Zealand, Retirement Villages Association and New Zealand Council of Christian Social Services.
We are also members of many other associations as well, so if you would like more information, please send us an email.